Sunday, November 06, 2005

Tony Velasquez at Lambiek


I recently looked up at the website Lambiek.net and found to my surprise that the biography of the Father of Philippine Komiks, Tony Velasquez, was not included in their profiles. Since there are literally thousands of comics artists in the world (past and present), the Dutch website usually relies on information given to them by artists themselves, or artists' families or friends.
Anyway, I immediately composed a capsule biography of Tony Velasquez and emailed it at Lambiek's listed email address on October 27, two days prior to the 95th birth anniversay of Tony Velasquez. For further references about Tony Velasquez, I sent lambiek a link to this blog as well as a link to Gerry Alanguilan's Komikero website.
On october 31, four days after my email, I checked Lambiek again, and lo! Tony Velasquez' biography is already uploaded on their profiles on the section "new additions to Lambiek". It would probably take a few more days for Velasquez' biography to be searchable in Lambiek.
I am very thankful to the Lambiek website for their immediate response to my request. I salute them for their untiring efforts to honor comics artists and writers the whole world over.
As of now, I'm writing several capsule biographies of Filipino comics artists and plan to forward it to Lambiek as additional profiles for their comiclopedia, as well as a support to their wonderful website.

No comments: